Saturday, May 7, 2016

Apollo 7

According to Wiki:
The Apollo 7 crew was commanded by Walter M. Schirra, with Command Module Pilot Donn F. Eisele, and Lunar Module Pilot R. Walter Cunningham. Their mission was Apollo's 'C' mission, an 11-day Earth-orbital test flight to check out the redesigned Block II Apollo Command/Service Module (CSM) with a crew on board. It was the first launch of a Saturn IB vehicle to put a crew into space, the first three-person American space mission, and the first live TV broadcast from an American spacecraft. 
What can anyone say?

As far as I am concerned the 1960s US Space Program represents the best of humanity.

This is the Apollo VII patch:


Apollo VII

An old college buddy of mine, Jon Lee, is the only friend that I have in the world that likewise has a mission patch.

I can't seem to find it on-line, but I have the thing itself framed.

He did some work for the Mars Desert Research Station.

Who knows what, exactly?

The guy is a pharmacologist, after all.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. By the way, Laurie and I had a friend over tonight who is going through a difficult marital breakup.

      And, now, this evening, as he has just recently left, I am looking up at my wall calander that shows me spiral galaxy NGC 2841 which is part of constellation Ursula Major.

      And, y'know, I am not a scientist, but when I look at that image I know that it represents gazzillions of stars that are teeming with life.

      I firmly believe that humanity is just getting started.

      Delete
    2. I'm just kicking myself because Mercury was visible just after sunset pretty much every night last week, and I keep forgetting to look.

      We are just specs of dust in this Universe, but conscious ones. Isn't it all so amazing!?

      Delete